Coronavirus (Covid-19) Statement
Audax UK continues to monitor guidance from the government, public health authorities and sporting bodies. At present there is no guidance recommending cancelling sporting events. Individual events may be cancelled because of their particular situation or circumstances, so please do check our website before setting off for any event.
Sport England issued the following statement regarding sporting events in light of the measures announced by the Governnment following the COBRA meeting on Thursday 12 March.
Coronavirus: information for the sector
An update on the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and what it means for the sport and physical activity sector.
- We know sport at every level is facing upheaval because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and that this is causing concern and uncertainty.
- The government has today confirmed that people with mild symptoms should stay at home and self-isolate for seven days.
- We know that all of this could affect planned events and activities.
- For now, it doesn't mean you can't still run activities where people gather, and it definitely doesn't mean that people should be discouraged from being active.
- In fact, given that being fit and healthy acts as a deterrent to most infections, it's crucial that members of the public continue to lead active lives throughout this period, whether that's using a local gym or walking or cycling, where it’s possible to do so.
- Unless there's official advice telling you not to do so, and as long as you follow the government advice on how to avoid catching or spreading the virus, you can continue with things like club sports fixtures, group activities and use leisure facilities.
- In every scenario, it’s clear that hand hygiene is critical and if you’re planning to go somewhere that involves using sports equipment, make sure you're thoroughly wiping it down before and after you use it.
Audax UK will continue to monitor the situation.
Our advice at present is as follows:
- We know that event organisers and riders are thinking carefully about whether to go ahead with forthcoming events. Over the coming weeks and months individual events may well be cancelled.
- Although at present we will continue to validate events and rides, organisers who make the difficult decision to cancel events for reasons connected with the Covid-19 epidemic will have our full support.
- Organisers should try to ensure that controls have hand-washing facilities on site or close by. At large events, split starts may need to be considered. Riders should consider carrying soap or hand sanitiser and strong tissues.
- Please check before travelling to an event to make sure it is going ahead, and if you do ride, please pay scrupulous attention to hygiene.
- Any intended event participants, be they organisers, event staff, riders, or others should NOT attend an event if they have any symptoms or have been in recent contact with any likely sufferers. Government advice should be heeded.
We will continue to provide updates here when we receive relevant further information and/or guidance.
Chair, Audax UK