RRtY and COVID-19 advice and FAQ
Advice on restarting your RRtY after COVID-19 (30th June 2020)
With the planned resumption of DIY and permanent events from the 1st August we realise that riders will be keen to know how they can continue any RRtYs in progress before the shutdown in March.
As a reminder, in order to qualify for inclusion in the RRtY Roll of Honour, you need to complete a Randonnée (minimum 200km, either calendar event, Permanent or DIY) in each of any twelve consecutive calendar months. This is rightly valued as an award only the hardiest of riders can aspire to and this is why it is so highly esteemed by riders and the Audax community. COVID-19 has caused an unavoidable break and we want to give riders the possibility to resume the challenge with some flexibility whilst respecting the difficulty of the challenge and taking into account that RRtY validation must remain workable for the RRtY secretary.
We offer the following advice:
- The last ride before the enforced stop in validation may have been in Feb 2020 or Mar 2020. If you had a ride in March it will be counted.
- The six months grace period refers to the restart period starting from 1st August 2020 and ending at the end of January 2021. Therefore the latest restart date for an RRTY to be considered for validation is during February 2021.
- Once a rider has completed a ride that qualifies for RRtY they have reset their RRtY in motion and need to complete the RRtY without any further missed months. Any validated ride of minimum 200km will restart the clock on your RRtY therefore we advise you to consider carefully when you restart your rides. If you take part in a ride but do not wish to restart your RRtY you must request that this ride is not validated.
Additionally we appreciate that some riders had multiple RRtY attempts in progress at the time of suspension and offer the following further advice as multiple concurrent RRtYs give rise to further complications:
- You may have completed fewer rides in March than the number of series in progress. In this case rides in March will be allocated to the longest running series first. Any additional series will count as having their last ride in February.
- If you had multiple RRtY attempts in progress you must restart all series in the same calendar month. If you have any validated ride in a month prior this restarts the clock on all RRtY attempts in progress; therefore you must consider carefully when you wish to restart riding validated events.
We kindly request that RRtY claims covering the period of suspension are sent in as soon as possible after completion in order that the inevitable difficulty of validation is handled by the current RRtY secretary who is fully conversant with the unique situation.
The following examples are designed to help explain these rules in practice:
Rider j has ridden qualifying rides from August 2019 to February 2020 (i.e. has completed 7 months). This rider can restart during any month from August 2020 to February 2021 inclusive. The remaining 5 rides must occur in consecutive months, so If the rider restarts in August then she must complete rides in Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec to complete the RRTY. Alternatively if she restarts in November then she must ride in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar to complete the challenge.
Rider z has 2 RRtY series in progress starting August 2019 and Jan 2020 respectively. The rider completed only 1 ride in March before suspension.
Series A currently comprises rides from August 2019 - March 2020 (i.e. 8 month completed). Series B will count as Jan 2020 - Feb 2020 (i.e. 2 months completed).
In order to complete both series, the rider must complete 2 qualifying rides for 4 consecutive months and 1 qualifying ride for the subsequent six months in order to complete both series. So if the first ride after restart is in November 2020 there must be 2 qualifying rides in each month November 2020 - Feb 2021 inclusive and one ride in March 2021-August 2021 inclusive.
Note that there must be no "one-off" validated qualifying rides before November 2020 as this would count towards the first series and the second series would lapse.
We will post any updates and answers to frequently asked questions on this page, so do check back here in the first instance. If you are still in doubt about how to resume your RRtYs please contact us:
Dan Smith (Event Services Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant Huggins (RRtY Secretary) email@example.com
Your last ride can be in either February 2020 or March 2020. If you rode in March then it will count, but if not the series will continue from February 2020.
The first ride must be between 1st August 2020 and end of Feb 2021. Remember once started you must ride every month until the series is completed.
Yes, you may continue by completing a qualifying ride any time between 1st August 2020 and 28th February 2021, and then on subsequent months to complete your series.
Yes, but as soon as you ride a validated event that is 200km or more, then the clock restarts on all RRtY series in progress. If you wish to ride a longer event without restarting your RRtY series then you must ensure it is not validated.